Green coconut water is a very tasty drink and besides, it has multiple benefits for your health. Let’s mention its properties so every time you have the opportunity, you don’t miss this great natural drink.
– It’s considered an isotonic beverage, it hydrates your body and has more electrolytes than sports drinks. It’s ideal to replace the electrolytes lost on hot days or when you exercise (sodium, calcium, iron, phosphorus and potassium). The vegetable water that coconut contains is pure, so if you are on a beach and have nothing to drink, the coconuts will provide you with an exquisite variant of drinking water.
– The calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium and vitamin C contained in coconut water are important minerals for cognitive brain function.
– The vitamin C present in coconut water is a very important antioxidant, it protects cells from damage caused by free radicals.
– Helps the immune system as it has medium-chain triglycerides with antimicrobial properties preventing the proliferation of fungi, viruses and bacteria.
– Coconut water contains a considerable amount of fibre (2.6 grams in 240 ml) stimulating intestinal transit and favouring the balance of its flora.
– Helps regulate blood pressure, although it has sodium, it also has more potassium than bananas, which neutralizes the effect of the sodium and help to equalize the pressure, reducing the cardiac risk.
– It has many natural bioactive enzymes such as acid phosphatase, catalase, dehydrogenase, diastase, peroxidase, RNA-polymerases, among others, helping in digestion and metabolism. It improves heartburn and reflux, as it calms the irritation caused by heartburn.
– Contains cytokinin that promotes cell regeneration, helping to prevent ageing of the skin & hair and contributing to eliminate excess oil present on the skin. It can also be used by direct application to clean the skin and combat pimples.
– Helps regulate cholesterol, because it reduces atheroma plaques inside the arteries.
– The calcium and magnesium present in coconut water contribute to muscle health, favouring the prevention and treatment of cramps.
– Regulates insulin secretion in the body and balances high levels of glucose in the blood. Coconut water has 55 calories per 330 ml.
– Helps fight a hangover after a night out, replenishing electrolytes, helping to cleanse the liver and eliminate toxins.
– Stimulates the functioning of the kidneys and the elimination of crystals. Coconut water acts in the prevention and treatment of kidney stones.
Don’t confuse coconut water (which is practically transparent) and coconut pulp (its white flesh with a thin brown skin), with coconut milk and cream. Coconut milk and cream are made by grating and filtering coconut pulp with water. What floats on the surface after cooling down is the cream, and the liquid that remains below is the milk.
In the second war, coconut water has been used intravenously to hydrate patients, it can serve as a replacement for saline solution in critical situations since it has a balance of mineral salts similar to human plasma.
It is ideal to drink cold coconut water especially when you exercise to replace lost electrolytes. If in your country natural coconut is not so easy to find, there are packaged alternatives with the same properties. Make sure you choose the ones that are 100% natural, organic, with no added sugar or water.